Dear Ed

I received this after promising to bow out, so forgive me for one more
quick response.

If there were only a few definitions of art, we'd all be poorer.  Goya
painted a military massacre, and shocked many.  Ditto Picasso.  Art of all
kinds is constantly being banned, then recognized later for it's
qualities.  It seems that the whole of 20th century non-traditional art is
to be suspect.  Whether I like it or not, you and I and Rumsfield are not
the judges.  The future and our society will be.

In any event, this is a red herring.  The point is freedom of
expression.  (Pretend the guy isn't an artist, but a writer.)  The
important issue is the legal proceedings, in the face of non-toxicity and
total lack of threat to our community.  It's clearly just an excuse for
putting a lid on political activism, whether artistic or not.

Ed, I know of other cases of academics being pursued unjustly.  I'm not
shocked by this,  given the inclinations of our current government and the
directions government has taken in recent years.  The point is, we need to
protect all our liberties at all costs.  TIt's got nothing to do with what
is, or isn't, art.

That's all, folks!

Candy