Jenny,

Apparently, you don't do book restoration or you wouldn't hold it in such
light regard.  Believe me, anyone who does proper restoration would tell you that
it is indeed an art. To hear one say of your work that is "merely"
restoration, is an insult.

Since we are on that footing, you mention Picasso and Jackson Pollack. Anyone
can produce such "art."  If one looks at Picasso's pre cubism work they can
see that he had no sense of proportion. I would do cubism too if I insisted on
being considered an artist, yet lacked natural ability. As for Jackson
Pollack, preschoolers can, and I might add, do work of that caliber when armed with a
few jars of finger paint. Today's definition of an artist, is anyone who says
he (or she, for you delicate folks) is. You didn't mention Maplethorpe.  I
suppose you consider a photo of a crucifix in a jar of urine as art also.  I
also don't think there is anything spectacular about artist books. Any talented,
or untalented (judging from some books I've seen) can do as well if they so
chose.

Regards,

Ed
http://www.bookrestoration.net/