on 6/8/04 11:12 AM, Edward Stansell at CraftBook@xxxxxxx wrote:

> Jenny,
>
> Apparently, you don't do book restoration or you wouldn't hold it in such
> light regard.  Believe me, anyone who does proper restoration would tell you
> that
> it is indeed an art. To hear one say of your work that is "merely"
> restoration, is an insult.
>
> Since we are on that footing, you mention Picasso and Jackson Pollack. Anyone
> can produce such "art."  If one looks at Picasso's pre cubism work they can
> see that he had no sense of proportion. I would do cubism too if I insisted on
> being considered an artist, yet lacked natural ability. As for Jackson
> Pollack, preschoolers can, and I might add, do work of that caliber when armed
> with a
> few jars of finger paint. Today's definition of an artist, is anyone who says
> he (or she, for you delicate folks) is. You didn't mention Maplethorpe.  I
> suppose you consider a photo of a crucifix in a jar of urine as art also.  I
> also don't think there is anything spectacular about artist books. Any
> talented,
> or untalented (judging from some books I've seen) can do as well if they so
> chose.
>

> Regards,
>
> Ed
> http://www.bookrestoration.net/

>                      Spring[binding]Hath Sprung
>        Worldwide Springback Bind-O-Rama and Online Exhibition
>           Full information at <http://www.philobiblon.com>
>                  ENTRY DEADLINE -- September 1, 2004
>
>     Book_Arts-L FAQ and Archive at: <http://www.philobiblon.com>
Ed, with all due respect you are not only out of touch with this century,
you are out of touch with the last century and quite possibly the one before
that as well. Picasso's analytical form of cubism was derived from optical
theory and had nothing to do with proportion. Indeed, that was the whole
point -- a comment on the classical model. He had an amazing natural ability
as well which is evidenced by his 'blue' and 'rose' periods as well as
thousands of drawings. Your lack of knowledge, not only of contemporary
issues in art, but of issues in art criticism during the past two centuries
is truly astounding.

Ruth

                       Spring[binding]Hath Sprung
                   ENTRY DEADLINE -- September 1, 2004