Re: [BKARTS] Patriot act takes an artist BAD!

on 6/8/04 11:59 AM, James Tapley at JTHANDBOOK@xxxxxxx wrote:

> It was Andres Sollano who produced "PISS CHRIST" though I well remember his
> work being conflated with Mapplethorpe's during those particular salvoes in
> the
> Culture Wars. Shades of Reagan in more than one sense!
> I do not believe that any of us would question the right, indeed duty of
> local authorities to fully investigate any suspected public health risk. That
> investigation was done and the "site" was declared safe by those authorities.
> Should have been Case Closed.
> The issue to me is that despite those facts we now have the individual being
> pursued to prosecution by Federal authorities under terms of the so-called
> Patriot Act. I don't think it a minor coincidence that the artist's work has a
> specific political bent nor that the Patriot Act is now an election year issue
> with a majority of the Senate calling for major revisions over the objections
> of our un-elected Attorney General and President.
> The issue is not whether I or you choose to call anyone's work ART. The issue
> is whether Federal authorities, under a statute clearly meant to (tongue in
> cheek here) further the War on Terror, should be allowed to use that statute
> curb our basic freedoms. I would hope that we all, no matter our opinion of
> cubism or drip painting or Picasso's draftsmanship, would be able to answer NO
> in a single voice. Best, James

>                      Spring[binding]Hath Sprung
>        Worldwide Springback Bind-O-Rama and Online Exhibition
>           Full information at <http://www.philobiblon.com>
>                  ENTRY DEADLINE -- September 1, 2004
>
>     Book_Arts-L FAQ and Archive at: <http://www.philobiblon.com>
Absolutely and very well put, James. This whole situation sets a precedent
in the art world and it is important for us to support artists and free
speech as well as to speak out when we feel those rights have been violated.
It will be interesting to see how all this plays out, but for right now, as
an artist it is really frightening.

Ruth

                       Spring[binding]Hath Sprung
                   ENTRY DEADLINE -- September 1, 2004