Re: [BKARTS] Patriot act takes an artist (good!) now Jackson Pollack

Again, off topic, but this discussion is going in many interesting
directions.

A friend recently sent along a most remarkable story in Scientific American
about Jackson Pollack's paintings and fractal geometry.  It seems that (a good
25-30 years before fractal geometry and chaos theory were being formulated)
this artist was making paintings that followed these principles.  The article
talks about fractals and nature and the visual appeal of nature--apparently
Pollack was going after something very specific, he knew exactly what he wanted
and figured out how to get it into his work.  I have never spent much time
looking at Pollack's paintings other than as a bit of art history, but, I am
certainly convinced that this man was a true artist.

By the way, there is also an interesting analysis of a "false Pollack"--no
fractals to be found, although lots of drips and splashes.

if interested, have a look at:
http://materialscience.uoregon.edu/taylor/art/scientificamerican.pdf

Lisa Olson

                       Spring[binding]Hath Sprung