Re: [BKARTS] Patriot act takes an artist (good!) now Jackson Pollack

on 6/8/04 12:24 PM, Lisa Olson at Olslis@xxxxxxx wrote:

> Again, off topic, but this discussion is going in many interesting
> directions.
>
> A friend recently sent along a most remarkable story in Scientific American
> about Jackson Pollack's paintings and fractal geometry.  It seems that (a good
> 25-30 years before fractal geometry and chaos theory were being formulated)
> this artist was making paintings that followed these principles.  The article
> talks about fractals and nature and the visual appeal of nature--apparently
> Pollack was going after something very specific, he knew exactly what he
> wanted
> and figured out how to get it into his work.  I have never spent much time
> looking at Pollack's paintings other than as a bit of art history, but, I am
> certainly convinced that this man was a true artist.
>
> By the way, there is also an interesting analysis of a "false Pollack"--no
> fractals to be found, although lots of drips and splashes.
>
> if interested, have a look at:
> http://materialscience.uoregon.edu/taylor/art/scientificamerican.pdf
>
> Lisa Olson

>                      Spring[binding]Hath Sprung
>        Worldwide Springback Bind-O-Rama and Online Exhibition
>           Full information at <http://www.philobiblon.com>
>                  ENTRY DEADLINE -- September 1, 2004
>
>     Book_Arts-L FAQ and Archive at: <http://www.philobiblon.com>
Fascinating. I would love to read that article. Thanks for the info. There's
no question but that Cezanne and Surat were also interested in the push and
pull of warm and cool tones in painting. Are you familiar with David
Hockney's recent book on the camera lucida?

Ruth

                       Spring[binding]Hath Sprung
                   ENTRY DEADLINE -- September 1, 2004