From: Book_Arts-L [mailto:BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Paul
T Werner
Sent: Wednesday, June 09, 2004 8:16 AM
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Book Aesthetics

You may want to check out Jan Tschichold, "Non-Arbitrary Proportions of Page
and Type Area," reprinted in Calligraphy and Paleography. Essays presented
to Alfred Fairbank, ed. A. S. Osley (London: Faber and Faber, 1965),
179-192. There's a lot more research done since then, e.g. on page
proportions in Insular manuscripts, etc. This one's a good introduction to
the topic.

Paul T Werner, New York
http://theorangepress.com

WOID: A journal of visual language