From: Book_Arts-L [mailto:BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of
Jennybean
Sent: Wednesday, June 09, 2004 8:33 AM
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Patriot act takes an artist (good!)

Exactly! You are *sooo* contradicting yourself in everything you
say...to claim your right to free speech while criticising and
decimating everyone else.

He can decide, you can decide, I can decide... you say that beauty is
in the eye of the beholder, and then argue that Picasso is not art?
Why do you bother?

Do you mean to say "Beauty is in the eye  of the beholder, so
therefore, In my opinion, Picasso is not art?" or are you just really
playing the part of a mudslinging troll?

Because what I was saying is that *you* are not allowed to decide for
*everyone else.* Neither are the Feds. At least, I hope not in the
free society we are supposed to be living in.
I mention the "big names" not because they are my favorites, or
because I am following some MFA herd-- (you know nothing about me
either)
but because they are names people can all relate with-- controversy
that  many find to be beautiful and that people understand.

But anyway, I'm not going to be all about the last word here, I'm
going to post this instead, and then maybe officially introduce
myself, which I don't know if I ever did before.

Jenny

--
How to win at an internet Flame war:

    1. Accuse the other party of your worst faults.
    2. Insist that you are an avatar of the Truth and that the other
person is Falsehood incarnate, or at least "misled."
    3. Dwell on errors. Correct them in others at every opportunity.
    4. Never apologize unequivocably. If forced to apologize, justify
yourself in a way that makes it sound like the other party was
responsible for your actions.
    5. Write in such a way that the other party looks stupid if they
don't respond.
    6. Try to be many things at once, so that you can deny everything
that is said about you.
    7. Say the same thing over and over again.
    8. Always strive to get the last word.
    9. Never let a debate rest. Never allow the other party to
withdraw without making it clear that they have lost.
   10. Insist that you are misunderstood.
   11. If you can't find something to flame the person about, make
something up. Convince yourself that you see the "real" motives.
   12. Remember: Winning is everything.

                       Spring[binding]Hath Sprung
                   ENTRY DEADLINE -- September 1, 2004