From: "Paul T Werner" <paul.werner@xxxxxxx>
To: <BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, June 09, 2004 8:15 AM
Subject: Book Aesthetics

You may want to check out Jan Tschichold, "Non-Arbitrary Proportions of

Page and Type Area," reprinted in Calligraphy and Paleography. Essays
presented to Alfred Fairbank, ed. A. S. Osley (London: Faber and Faber,
1965), 179-192. There's a lot more research done since then, e.g. on page
proportions in Insular manuscripts, etc. This one's a good introduction to
the topic.

Paul T Werner, New York
http://theorangepress.com

WOID: A journal of visual language