Ed, I don't know you but I know your work and reputation.
I'm not a big fan of modern art - even though my sister and brother-in-law
are well respected East Coast Canadian Sculpters.
I've listened to more than my share of "Art-Speak" and the shoddy rhetoric
that goes with justifying one's intent on various abstract and expressionist
art and don't agree with most of the platitudes.
I do however, almost begrudgingly, respect Pollock, because he was
Classically trained and could execute a perfect still-life or figurative
drawing whenever needed.
Same with Picasso.
What I suspect you are railing against is the fact that today art students
who emulate Pollock and Picasso and other Modern Artists have no Classical
training and justify their work based on the "Masters" who preceded them
with little or no understanding of the training involved in the "Masters"
decisions to break from the main stream.
This new school of "Modern Artists" who are not trained fully in all aspects
of their art - as you likely have been in yours - are the problem.
Not Pollock or Picasso.
Do you consider Jan Sabota a Fine Artist? I do.
He certainly was classically trained, is immaculate in his work and creates
the most unconventional books out there.
He pushes the boundries of our field - with love, care and respect.
But he would fall, sadly, in with Pollock, Picasso and others as one who
breaks these social conventions placed on all the arts.
Pollock consciously left behind his Classical training and Picasso pushed
all the windows of acceptability.
Whether they produced "Fine Art" is certainly up to each individual to judge.
As you stated - it is all in the eye of the beholder (as perhaps is the
definition of what Fine Art is to the individual).
But, historically, it has been shown - by far too many experts to counter -
that each was a FINE ARTIST and are listed in the pantheon of FINE ARTISTS
just as Degas, Renoir, Wyeth and so many others are.
As much for what conventions they challenged as for their body of work.
I do respect your opinion, but I wonder if perhaps you're shooting a bit
from the hip on this one.
Respectfully,
Brian Maloney
Designer/Printer
Massey College
University of Toronto

Bruce,

What do I care what you like or don't? You mean nothing to me and have no
consequence in my life. I have no wish to control anything good or bad that you
may wish to consume.  However I do wish to speak up occasionally when I think
something is a sham. If someone like Pollack is praised for the questionable
work they produce, what should we do with those that produced truly fine works,
Renoir, Degas. Wyeth, and countless others? Make them gods?

Regards,

Ed
http://www.bookrestoration.net/

                       Spring[binding]Hath Sprung