Re: [BKARTS] Patriot act follow-up

on 6/9/04 12:14 AM, Peter B. Steiner at troubadr@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I cannot blame President Bush or John Ashcroft for the mistakes being
> made by their remote subordinates.  The blame belongs to those who have
> chosen to twist the Patriot Act into a tool for criminal law enforcement.

Peter:

I've been debating whether or not to take the chance to respond thereby
setting off another deluge, but you said this morning:

"I cannot blame President Bush or John Ashcroft for the mistakes being
made by their remote subordinates.  The blame belongs to those who have
chosen to twist the Patriot Act into a tool for criminal law enforcement."

Have you been reading about the leaked memoranda regarding torture? Also, I
read today the administration manipulated their figures on terrorist attack
data. They stated awhile back they had been responsible for a 20% reduction
in terrorists attacks. Rep. Henry Waxman crunched the numbers again and
discovered not only that the data was false, but that there has actually
been a 35% increase in terrorist activity. Then when Waxman wrote a letter
to Colin Powell demanding to know what was going on, the State Dept. stated
the figures were wrong because they had to go to press sometime!  This is
not just the mistake of some twisted, remote subordinates. This is
calculated at the highest level of our country.

Now, back to art . . .

Ed, I'm not an art historian but I did stay at a holiday inn -- no, I won't
go there. Actually it was a minor, and my true love is drawing and trying to
stretch myself by getting into book arts. I took an art history final my
last year at school and one of the questions was, "What is art?" I answered:
It is the shortened form of a guy named Arthur -- I got an 'A'

Ruth Roberson

                       Spring[binding]Hath Sprung
                   ENTRY DEADLINE -- September 1, 2004