>From a bleaguered lister:

Once again.

PollOck.  Not PollAck.

Can we please move on from this unbelievably uninformed discussion over
what is and is not art?  This conversation, held on this level, has been
uninteresting since probably a week after it started around 1910, or
perhaps a few years later when _Fountain_ appeared at the Armory Show.

Those interested in continuing to discuss this subject should exchange
e-mail addresses and debate to their hearts' content, and let the rest of
us relax our "delete" fingers. I'm on this list for information and ideas
about books, not the idea of "Art."

Molly Schwartzburg

On Wed, 9 Jun 2004, Edward Stansell wrote:

> Jules,
>
> At least we can agree on beets.
>
> You know nothing of my artistic ability, so, how can you judge what I am
> capable of?  You know nothing of the bookbinding/book restoration capabilities of
> Picasso or Pollack, yet you are sure the could do as good or better than I.  I
> don't doubt for a minute that if I had the interest, I could do as well as
> Picasso. Pollack is not worth consideration. They are only "great" because the
> had great PR.
>
> Many sportsmen excel at more than one sport. Many gifted musicians play more
> than one instrument well. Many artists are skilled in more than one medium.  I
> can do more than bind and restore books.
>
> Why do you assume that Pollack and Picasso could excel at bookbinding? Can
> you show me some examples of your skill at the craft. You have judged my ability
> or lack thereof. Now let me judge yours.
>

> Regards,
>
> Ed
> http://www.bookrestoration.net/

*** *** *** *** *** ***