Re: [BKARTS] Patriot act, et.seq.

Steven Kurtz is simply the latest in a long line of individuals
whose rights under the U.S. Constitution/Bill of Rights have been
abrogated by the U.S. Government.

Sometimes, we've (as in 'It's our government, right or wrong') freely
given smallpox-contaminated blankets to our red brothers (Native Americans);
sometimes we've herded Chinese to the docks at San Francisco, Portland,
and Seattle, so they could return to the celestial kingdom, once they
had finished laying track for our railroads (not simply because they were
willing to work hard enough on the tailings of the white guy's gold/silver
mines to make a living); we've protected our shores when we sent Japanese
Americans to concentration camps during WW-II (and, by the way, purchased
their property for cents on the dollar, except for the bits which we simply
stole); then Tail-gunner Joe (Joe McCarthy, who never gunned a tail in his
life) found Communists, where there were few, if any, to be found; when...

Never mind how uncomfortable(?!) it was to be German in the U.S. during
WW-I & WW-II.

Waco was mentioned.  Bad news, indeed.  But what about Ruby Ridge?

The U.S. Congress did not apologize for Waco, but Randy Weaver and his
surviving family from Ruby Ridge were apologized to, and the survivors
were paid by the U.S. Congress for F.B.I. mistakes.

And there was punishment.  An F.B.I. executive was not promoted....

Will Brandon Mayfield and his family survive a mistake by the F.B.I.?

They have been as destroyed as Steven Kurtz.

A more realistic tale is told by a current judicial determination in
Portland, Oregon.

A man named Andrew A. Wiederhorn was this week sentenced to 18 months in
prison.

In 1997, he was recognized as Portland's 'Entrepreneur of the Year.'

He denuded some pension funds of some $350 million dollars; he was
also a principle in a related firm which lost $160,000,000.

In addition to 18 months in prison, he was fined $25,000, and was ordered
to pay $2,000,000 in restitution.

His firm has agreed to carry him on the payroll at full pay and allowances,
while he is in prison, AND has agreed to pay him a one-time fee of $2,000,000.

His annual salary is, and remains/continues: $350,000 per annum.

Don't get me started on Enron....

And some of you folks seem to be worried about a little bit-O-shit.

Sometimes I despair. But I do vote.

Jack

p.s.  Vote early and often.

'And that's all I have to say about that.'
Forrest Gump.

Thompson Conservation Lab.
7549 N. Fenwick
Portland, Oregon  97217