Ed,

Since you ask, I would not classify Renoir as an "Impressionist." He does
not apply color to portray reflected light as they self-consciously did.
Classifications aside, and they are not any measure of enjoyment, just tools
for understanding some of the motives, history and techniques, I object to
what I see as Renoir's smudgey technique, and the colors, to my taste are
usually florid (in the sense of ruddy and emotional) and overblown.  For
handling pastel, I much prefer Toulouse-Lautrec, Degas, Manet, Redon.  It's
just my taste.  But I have been looking at paintings seriously for most of
my life.  Like anything else, the more you look, or study, the more you see,
understand and enjoy.  And you naturally make judgements about what appeals
to you and what does less so.

I was a painting student during the 50s, when abstract expressionism,
"action painting," was an energetic movement in New York.  It was so
exciting.  I looked and looked, and still find the best of these artists to
say something that nobody else comes close to saying.  Kline thrills,  you
can feel the energy in his brush strokes. Paul Jackson Pollock, despite the
aggressive technique, I find lyrical, rather delicate. One thing I know is
that I respond positively to certain manipulations of space, and I do not
like thick, messy surfaces.  Some people like that, but it gives me the
willies.   The San Francisco Museum of Modern art has that Koons ceramic
sculpture of Michael Jackson with a chimp.  I thinks it's a work of amazing
craftsmanship and I thinks it's *@&#^$%.

Somebody in this thread mentioned somebody up close, studying the surface of
a "color field" painting.  Well, you can see something up close too.

Anyway, I don't get mad when I don't understand something, I keep looking
and try to understand.  And when I decide it's trash, I just don't look
anymore.

Can you see the halo around my head?

Signa the Slow