Re: [BKARTS] Rusted nails in signatures

Which is why the medical community uses it to treat heavy metal
poisoning, specifically lead poisoning in children.

My question, after reading all these posts, is this: How much is too much restoration? It would seem to me that rust stains at the sewing edge of the signatures of a 100-year-old book might not be all that visible. And if they are, might they not be considered an indication of its original condition and thus part of its patina? (assuming, of course, that the remnants that remain will cause no further deterioration).

Susan (newbie)

Douglas Sanders wrote:

Please see my most recent posting- two references are given.  The two
chemicals work much better together than one alone; iron rust isn't very
soluble on its own, so it must be reduced to a different, more soluble
ionic state.  That is the purpose of the sodium dithionite. EDTA is a
chelating agent which surrounds (complexes) the iron and leaves it out
of reactions it would normally participate in (such as catalyzing
cellulose degredation). =20

-You'll find EDTA in your shampoo, to remove chlorine and other metals
from hair.

Doug