Re: [BKARTS] Rusted nails in signatures

Well, that's a great question.  It's tough to answer... In the case
you've given below I think rust removal might not be warranted. It's the
fine line between conservation and restoration, preservation and
stability versus cosmetic improvements.  Each case is individual and
needs to be thought out.  In some cases, the iron oxide may continue to
increase staining and 'bleed' to neighboring pages.  This could be
halted.  Maybe a paper clip was left on a photographic print, causing
rust to develop on an image, disfiguring it.  A collector might desire
to have it reduced.

How much is too much is something conservators try to grapple with.
Let's just say it's a matter of opinion and leave it there.  It's tricky
territory- I don't want to start another art/not art war.

> Which is why the medical community uses it to treat heavy metal
> poisoning, specifically lead poisoning in children.
>

> My question, after reading all these posts, is this:  How much is too
> much restoration?  It would seem to me that rust stains at the sewing
> edge of the signatures of a 100-year-old book might not be all that
> visible.  And if they are, might they not be considered an indication
of
> its original condition and thus part of its patina?  (assuming, of
> course, that the remnants that remain will cause no further
> deterioration).
>

> Susan (newbie)
>

> Douglas Sanders wrote:
>
> >Please see my most recent posting- two references are given.  The two
> >chemicals work much better together than one alone; iron rust isn't
very
> >soluble on its own, so it must be reduced to a different, more
soluble
> >ionic state.  That is the purpose of the sodium dithionite. EDTA is a
> >chelating agent which surrounds (complexes) the iron and leaves it
out
> >of reactions it would normally participate in (such as catalyzing
> >cellulose degredation). =20
> >
> >-You'll find EDTA in your shampoo, to remove chlorine and other
metals
> >from hair.
> >
> >Doug

                       Spring[binding]Hath Sprung