Re: [BKARTS] Plough vs guillotine?

Hello Betty,

I am using an old style horizontal plough, and I would say that it is
capable of very fine cutting, if the blade is kept sharp and the cuts
fine.  The vertical ploughs I have seen advertised will probably do as well
or better.

However, it does take considerable time, and I would not recommend it for
production work, unless for very fine editions where every care must be
taken.  I myself am in the market for a suitable guillotine, but they are
too expensive for my budget right now.  I will keep my plough for fine work
in any case.  A guillotine with a blade nick is fine for trade work, but
not for gilt edges or fine bindings.

Yours, Gavin