Re: [BKARTS] Early Printed Korans

At 10:16 AM 6/15/2004 -0400, you wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was told that it was forbidden for the Koran
to be translated out of Arabic.

Regards,

Ed
http://www.bookrestoration.net/

Just FYI --
There are many millions of Moslems who don't speak/read Arabic
(Indonesia has the world's largest Moslem population).
The Koran, like the Bible, has been translated into nearly every
language, frequently as "side-by-side" translations. There are
several versions in English. The ones for liturgical use do
require an "imprimatur", but there are also translations for
people who just want to read it. We used the Arberry trans. when
I was in college.

However, the devout believe that non-Arabic Korans are not the
real thing, as it was originally dictated in Arabic to Mohammad.
I think even printed ones are not quite "real", as, like the Torah,
the Koran should be hand-written. (I have a small hand-written,
illuminated Koran in a nice Persian 19th c. binding)

Islamic bookbinding is a fascinating field of study, all by itself!

cheers

Susan Fatemi
susanf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

                      Spring[binding]Hath Sprung