Re: [BKARTS] Shagrin (Ray-skin)-off topic

My limited knowledge of stingray skin comes from talking with the owner
of a mail-order store in North Carolina www.motherofpearl.com  He sells
a variety of stingray skins and products.  There are tanned and rawhide
versions.  The rawhide sort can be used to wrap knife/sword handles
('same' or 'honzame' in Japan); it is soaked and then constricts to the
shape of the substrate when dry.  I suppose it could be used in this
manner to conform to irregular book covers.  I've used a sample of the
tanned type- it is very pliable, with a flesh side much like leather. It
comes in a variety of finishes/colors with nodules or polished down
smooth, and can be cut with scissors or a knife.  The mentioned site
lists a full skin at US$85.

It can be coated in various lacquers, and polished down between each
coat to form a smooth, shiny, polka-dot like surface- utilized in Japan
and the Art Deco period in this manner.  Try coloring the lacquer to
produce white dots on a colored ground...

Doug Sanders

                       Spring[binding]Hath Sprung
                   ENTRY DEADLINE -- September 1, 2004