Re: [BKARTS] Shagreen or Ray skin

Nicholas,

The joints do not fail. My reason for not using shagreen on joint areas, is
that the "pebbles" do not allow for opening in an even fashion like regular
leather. The hinge runs in sort of a zigzag pattern that I don't think looks too
well. Turn-ins are a problem. Popping off the beads make it a little easier,
But it leaves something to be desired. That's why I prefer to use shagreen for
inlays rather than the entire binding.

Regards,

Ed
http://www.bookrestoration.net/