Re: [BKARTS] Odd leather question

On Jun 22, 2004, at 1:17 PM, MelissaJay Craig wrote:

Does anyone have a good method for permanently dulling the glossy
surface of some goatskins, without damage to the leather?  If it
helps, I'm using a Harmatan skin, grade 2, dark brown, and I want it
to have a very matte appearance.
******************************
Some of the other replies have been shocking, but maybe that's what you
are looking for.

The skin may have been dried with the grain side against glass. To
reduce the gloss, simply wet the leather with water (distilled is
probably better) and allow it to dry. It should be thoroughly wetted --
I use a clean sponge. Before wetting, you could "board" the leather --
roll it grain side to grain side with a fair amount of pressure (in
some case a wooden board has been used) -- this will help raise the
grain and dull the surface. The piece can be wetted after boarding.
Good Luck,
Bill Minter

4364 Woodbury Pike
Woodbury, PA  16695