Re: [BKARTS] Dead-Media bogeyman + CD Longevity

In a message dated 6/24/04 12:42:22 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
mandrfry@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< The longevity of CDs has been addressed on a number of Web sites - I
 was specifically interested in the best type for storing and passing on
 family photographs. >>

Personally, I would never state that any one type of CD is better than
another.

Dean's CD purchase tips:
1) purchase CDs from a pro audio store.  Here in Portland it's Super Digital
(used to be Super Duper).  They sell a limited selection of bulk-packaged CDs.
 These guys know the product, since they duplicate thousands of CDs every
week.  The other thing I like about buying from a pro store is that they clearly
label the CDs as being from the original manufacturer.  Not some relabled
"brand name."

2) Mix it up. Always purchase a different brand than what was purchased last.
 This way, you are never relying on any particular brand.  For my key CDs, I
have multiple copies burned onto different brands of CDs.   That way, in the
unlikely event that one brand ends up having a reliablity problem, there are
backups to the backups on different brands.   At pennies per CD, there simply is
no reason not to do this.

For family photos:

Besides the CD, I would suggest putting together a paper catalog of all the
pictures and text files on tthe CD. No fancy formating is needed. Just as many
thumbnail pictures as you want to cram on each page.  Then folks can look at
the catalog and decide which pictures they want to view or have duplicated from
the CD.    This also opens up the possiblity of having the old folks take a
look at the picture catalog and write notes which can be converted into text
files associated with each picture.

Organizing photos tip:  group all the various photos by size.. That is, put
all the 4"x5" photos together with all the other 4x5" photos, etc. Assign
serial numbers to the 4x5" photos as a single gorup. 4"x5"photo number 001,
4"x5"photo number 002, etc. Then, on the CD you have a folder (all files should be
in a folder) for all the scans of 4"x5" photos.  So, in the 4"x5" folder there
is scan number 001, text file number 001 which are directly and uniquely
associated with 4"x5" photo number 001.    Do the exact same thing for each 8"x10"
photo and so forth.

The reason for this is simple: photo storage.  Archiving photos normally
results in the photos being grouped (ie in a museum box) by size.  Thus,
organizing the scan and txt files in the same manner as the original photos are stored
makes it much easier to locate the original.

Tom Robinson, the acknowledged master of historic-photo preservation here in
Oregon, taught me this technique and it has worked very well.

hope this helps,
Dean

                       Spring[binding]Hath Sprung
                   ENTRY DEADLINE -- September 1, 2004