[BKARTS] Whoever you are, thank you!

Dear booklovers:
  I have been purchasing leathers at auction.  These are brilliantly
colored skins (kid, goat, etc.), and very smooth, almost like patent
leather.  However, they do not take hot stamping.  The letters come out
are broken and incomplete, no matter what the temperature of the type
(I've used gold foil and 350-400 degrees.)
    Someone on this list suggested sometime ago that to prep smooth
leathers, you should use ammonia.  I wipe the leathers gently with a weak
(1:4) solution of ammonia and let them dry. The difference this makes is
astounding.  The leathers so treated take the type very well.  Further,
such a weak solution doesn't afect the appearance of the skins.
Thanks,
Jet

                       Spring[binding]Hath Sprung
                   ENTRY DEADLINE -- September 1, 2004