Re: [BKARTS] Whoever you are, thank you!

Jet,

The leather you're using is different than my typical stock but the problem you're describing is very much like what I experienced with my first efforts. You will find the advice of the group to me on this problem in the archives. I'll tell you what the results were for me and how I changed my practices.

I am using a quikprint. I've taken the original grid printed plastic off the metal bed because the screws that held it in place were round head and jeopardized my work and interfered with modifications. I made removable cover for the metal table. My first version was wood, a horizontal wood panel with a wooden lip on the bottom of one side. My newer version is plexiglass, 3/8" thick with two plex lips, on the bottom sides of the horizontal panel. Both these removable tables (I believe William Minter calls this a force, have to look that up) serve the same purpose; to give a surface to attach the work to which can be removed and re-inserted in the machine precisely. These table both align to the side surface of the original table and push all the way back to the vertical post at the back of my quikprint.

Now for the method.
My gold foil is happiest at about 250°. I attach my work to the removable table using tape or other non-destructive, removable methods. Hit the leather with the hot die or type but no foil. This creates a clear, well established bed for the foil. Hit the impression again using the foil very quickly and with slightly more force. Hit the impression quickly again with no foil, Again with foil, and again with no foil. At the temperatures you mention, 350-400, the second and last no foil hits would be disaster given the foil I use. Without the backing to protect it, the foil would fuse to the die or type and be lifted off the leather in irregular patches.

The removable table let's me take the work out to examine the results as I progress and to put the piece back in for touch-up if necessary.

I still see much room for improvement in my skill with embossing, foil and gold however these techniques have greatly improved my results and reliability.

Don Drake
Dreaming Mind

ddrake@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
IM: stitchbyhand