[BKARTS] Nipping Press vs Book Press

Hi Charles, and I think you are correct. Nipping up is no more than to  apply
a short sharp relatively heavy pressure and then to release or partially
back off that pressure. We should be able to do that with any press.
This is most often applied to an individual project e.g. in setting a  single
American jointed case or firming a page repair. It is really a  matter of
volume. I think that most often a "nipping press" is  understood to have a
daylight which allows for not much more than a single  book and boards making them
useful for one offs. The ubiquitous 19th  century copy press. Because of their
relatively small size it is their  usefulness to the single project that is
significant.
I believe that book press most often suggests a machine with greater
daylight allowing it to hold many volumes. We tighten down and walk away.  In a shop
of any size the distinction is important only because we often hold  many
books being forwarded under moderate pressure over a much longer  time.
And to really get dumb a book press should be engineered so  as to forego
inbuilt, through ill fit or design of mechanism, "backoff" of  applied pressure
over time. Of course we hope this from any press. Best,  James

                       Spring[binding]Hath Sprung