[BKARTS] Preservation Internship for Native Americans at Cornell University Library, Ithaca, NY

Dear Colleague,

Cornell University Library was funded by IMLS to conduct an internship
program focusing on Native American Library staff.

Cornell University Library plans to offer a program of internship in
preservation management and practice designed to build a preservation
infrastructure within tribal colleges and universities throughout the
country. This program will focus on the development of a cadre of twelve
qualified Native Americans trained and dedicated to helping establish and
maintain preservation programs in institutions within their region. The
program will take place over a two-year period, during the months of June,
July, August and consists of one training sessions per year for each of six
interns, for a total of two sessions and twelve interns. The program is
designed to prepare the interns to train other librarians, archivists, and
technicians in the basics of program development through workshops,
seminars, on-site surveys, simulations, needs assessments, and the
establishment of a regional disaster plan and response capability. By
focusing on a train-the-trainers model, this program will have an impact
well beyond the twelve interns and will lead to the development of direct
tribal responsibility for indigenous cultural heritage materials. As with
other internship programs that Cornell has conducted, the staff will
continue to act as mentors beyond the period of the project. The program of
training will provide Native American tribal colleges with the ability to
greatly extend the life of their cultural heritage materials, to conduct
fruitful studies of their collections and services, and to prepare viable
proposals for external grant funding to support Native American collections.

The internship is for a three month period and there is funding available
for travel to Ithaca, NY and a $5000. stipend for each intern.
There is no charge for housing.
Please distribute it widely and anyone interested can contact me.

We are anxious to begin enrolling people, so I hope we can come up with
folks you are interested right away.
Please contact me (beb1@xxxxxxxxxxx) (607-255-5291) if you have any further
questions.

Best regards,

Barbara Eden

Barbara B. Eden Associate Director IRIS/ Department of Preservation and Collection Maintenance Cornell University Library B15 Olin Library Ithaca, NY 14853

email: beb1@xxxxxxxxxxx
phone: 607-255-5291

                      Spring[binding]Hath Sprung