Re: [BKARTS] pva and padding compound

Put simply, padding  cement can contain  Polyvinylacetate (PVA)
as an adhesive, but not all Polyvinylacetate (PVA) Adhesive are
padding cement.

Polyvinylacetate (PVA) is a chenical that forms a major
component of hundreds of different offerings by dozens of
different adhesive suppliers, but not all Polyvinylacetate
(PVA) Adhesive offerings the same. Such adhesives can be
intended for a multitude of applications from being a binding
additive for making cement used in high rise construction, to
being a washable adhesive for attaching SMC's to printed circut
boards untill they have been soldiered; of course none of these
specialty adhesives is suitable for book binding.

Fuller Adhesives, my "glue" supplier offers me seventeen
different versions of Polyvinylacetate (PVA) Adhesives for
bookbinding and converting, nine of which are for machine
application in the perfect binding process, three are for
machine case making three are for making pressure sensative
paper, and two are for different applications in hand binding.
I wouldn't use any of these for simple padding.

The best padding cements use latex as the adhesive agent.

Properly "glue" refers to a product made from geletin or plant
gums.

MayKitten
--- Rena Scott <Tornpaperbooks@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Is PVA glue and Padding compound the same thing?
> Thanks,
> Rena Oldham

>          Worldwide Springback Bind-O-Rama and Online
> Exhibition
>              ENTRY DEADLINE EXTENDED -- NOW October 1, 2004
>
>       Book_Arts-L FAQ and Archive at:
> <http://www.philobiblon.com>

=====
Pagan, Pagan, what are you finding?