[BKARTS] Yapps and Circuit Edges

Lavinia Adler suggested off-list that it's Yapp with two p's. That is how
Etherington and Roberts spell it. They attribute it to the 19th c. binder.
Of course, the foredge yap or yapp was in common use centuries earlier in
limp vellum binding, but I don't know what they called it then.  If anyone
knows please post it.

What I did is clearly NOT a Yapp binding, as that must be limp or semi
flexible with round corners, which mine is neither. It is on books of
devotion and had gilt over bole, so there are similarities. But it looks
nothing like the picture (see below).

Mine is not a circuit edge binding either, since it is neither limp nor is
the foredge flap independent.

Perhaps I've invented a new form of binding. I thought I had seen them done
like this, but maybe I was dreaming.

Bookbinding and the Conservation of Books
A Dictionary of Descriptive Terminology
Matt T. Roberts and Don Etherington
Drawings by Margaret R. Brown
is at http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/don/don.html

They say:

Yapp style ( Yapp edges )
See illustration at http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/don/fg/fg56.gif

A style of binding featuring a cover (leather, or other material, but
customarily leather) that overlaps the three edges of both upper and lower
covers continuously. The covers are always limp or semi-flexible, and are
sometimes fitted with a zipper, which was a later refinement. Yapp books,
named after the English bookseller of the second half of the 19th century,
William Yapp, always have round corners, and the endpapers are frequently
made from a "surface" paper, usually black. The edges are sometimes gilt,
frequently over red, or are stained or otherwise colored. The Yapp style is
especially associated with books of devotion (almost exclusively today),
although a half century ago books of verse were sometimes bound in somewhat
similar covers. See also: CIRCUIT EDGES .

circuit edges
The projecting flexible covers of limp bindings turned over to protect the
leaves and edges of books, usually of a devotional nature. The circuit edge
differs from the yapp edge in that the overlap of the cover is not
continuous. The covering leather is turned over at head and tail, with an
independent flap at the fore edge. The corners are square. This technique
allows the flaps to fold flat onto the edges. Sometimes called "divinity
circuit," or "divinity edges."

--
 Richard
 http://minsky.com