From: Diane Westerfield [mailto:DWESTER@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, September 22, 2004 10:43 AM
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [BKARTS] Buckram for library book repair

(Please excuse any cross posting)

I'm the bindery coordinator in a mid-sized academic library.  We perform
simple book repair, up to casing in with new endsheets.  I'm coming to the
end of my inherited stock of buckram of unknown provenance, and thinking
about what buckram or other material I should purchase.

My basic quandary is this.  I know that the heavy weight buckram used by
commercial binders is available and it's tough stuff.  However, since book
repair takes a back seat to bindery prep around here, you have to be a bit
motivated to get to the repairs.  F-grade buckram is not going to help with
the motivation; despite its good properties it's also not aesthetically
pleasing and looks difficult to work with.  The thickness of the fabric
makes it unattractive for spine repairs where it will be obvious underneath
the lifted fabric of the original binding.

So, I'd like to get the expert opinion on this - could I get away with using
a lower-weight buckram like the Joanna (English finish) buckram offered by
Talas?  The samples look pretty similar to the old buckram
we've been using.   If there are other alternatives please let me know.

I have the Talas Canapetta sample too, and although attractive, the fabric
seems a little too nubby for library repairs - I imagine it would be prone
to fraying and to rubbing the bindings of adjacent books on the shelf.

Thanks,
Diane Westerfield, Bindery/Preservation Coordinator Loyola University
Chicago, Cudahy Library Bindery dwester@xxxxxxx
773-508-2628

                       Spring[binding]Hath Sprung

                       Spring[binding]Hath Sprung