Re: [BKARTS] contact cement

As a  cabinet maker, I have been using contact cement for 28 years.  It
essentially is neoprene rubber after all the solvents dry out.  There are
several types, some are water based for those who don't like the fumes.
These are in constant developement, since the EPA has cracked down on
fumes....   The product is getting better and better.
Most contact cement IS reversable with a solven like laquer thinner, even
the water based.  I have peeled veneer from VERY old substrate that had been
glued with contact and came up fine.  It just has to soak awhile.
I went to Wilsonart's site to see what was in their water based contact:
xinc oxide, polychloroprene, resin.  The worst the MSDS said was it MAY
irritate the skin, lungs, etc.  So can just about anything!  So there
doesn't seem to be anything acidic in their water based product.  I would
look for what is available in your area and then go on the net and look for
the MSDS on the product.   Also, the contents should be on the label.  Even
the solvent based ones have just the regular solvents, nothing fancy and
they all leave the product when it is dry (no years of off gassing....).  I
have used contact for padding for years.  clamp the paper and spray the
contact on.  Since it is neoprene rubber, it is VERY flexible and stays that
way.    And it is reversable with solvent.  Even WD40 will release it.
So, that's the view from the cabinet shop!
Jim
Heritage Interiors
Fine Furniture and affordable bookbinding equipment that I sell on ebay.