[BKARTS] Gane book coverings

    Sometime ago, someone in the discussion group recommended the use of
Gane Imitation Leathers for inexpensive yet attractive book coverings.
    I ordered and have tried out six of the items in their 800 series
(the 600 series are slightly lighter weight.)
    First of all , the colors and textures of these products are very
attractive, and a welcome change from the tan buckram that one finds on
the old journal shelves of libraries.
    Furthermore, the products are a dream to hotstamp; even the highly
textured pebbled items take a hot stamp very easily, and all sorts of
foils, not only gold, seem to work nicely.  The use of a light steel
wool to remove excess gold seems not to deface them at all.  They glue
well, and handle well when being attached to Davy board, whether the
glue is PVA or hide glue.
    I have found them far superior to similar products, for instance,
the Sturdite sold by Talas--- attractive enough, but some textures
strongly resist stamping.
    When I ordered a sample book from Gane,  www.ganebrothers.com, I was
disappointed to read about purchases in 70 foot rolls, but when I phoned
the salesman was very obliging, stating that the minimum order was, in
fact, only five yards.
    I have a pile of old yet not at all valuable musical scores to
bind.  The Gane products have proved to be just what I needed.

--

Jet Wimp
Philadelphia, PA  19139

Brussels to purchase a wheel of Swiss cheese.  The owner pulled a wheel
from the front window, but Magritte said he preferred the one on the
back counter.

                       Spring[binding]Hath Sprung