Re: [BKARTS] hingeing together

On Sep 28, 2004, at 5:49 AM, jane brown wrote:

I was taught never to use anything that is considerably stronger than
the original in repair or hinging.  Tyvek is stronger than most paper,
so, I would suggest a Japanese tissue.

Perhaps this advise was meant for conservation work where it would be desirable to have destructive stresses channelled away from the original materials. Personally I wouldn't follow this strategy as a strict rule for a new work. The hinge is going to take much of the stress in viewing. Who's going to be happy with your work if books fails at the fold?

Though I pay attention to employing time tested materials, I don't
worry so much about reversibility. While being an important factor in
conservation work, for book art, it feels a bit like engineered
weakness. I figure if the content proves to have lasting value, in a
hundred years or so, some conservationist can figure out ow to deal
with deterioration and make respectful repairs. For my part, I'm going
to make the as sold and functional as I can.

Don Drake
Dreaming Mind

ddrake@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
IM: stitchbyhand