[Table of Contents] [Search]


[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [BKARTS] Crispy (brittle) pages redux



On Sun, 24 Oct 2004, JMerchant wrote:

> It turned out also, that the book was never sewn, but was stapled
> together with hundreds of staples through the sigs, and bound in a
> manner unfamiliar to me. So, I decided to just sew the three loose sigs
> on tapes and reattached them to the textblock with both a hinge made of
> the heat set tissue and also by gluing the tapes across the spine. I
> also applied PVA with a little methyl cellulose to the entire spine on
> top of the old existing mull. (I was afraid to remove the old mull. I
> could just envision the paper crumbling in my hands as I scraped the
> glue off.)

The choice not to remove the mull was probably  a wise one, because it's
almost certainly what's holding the text block together: the staples hold
the signatures to the  mull, and  the mull holds the signatures to one
another.  Also, minimizing the use of  moisture  on the spine helps to
prevent rust.

When I've worked on books bound in this manner (whose paper was in better
condition than what you describe), I've cleaned the spine using dry
methods, removing those parts of the mull that come off easily and aren't
stapled.  After attaching endpapers and any loose pages/sections, I've
applied a japanese tissue and paste barrier lining (standard practice in
our lab, for reversibility), and used a hair dryer to speed drying, before
adding a cambric lining adhered with PVA.


                                                Rachel

             ***********************************************
             For all your subscription questions, go to the
      Book_Arts-L FAQ and Archive at: <http://www.philobiblon.com>
             ***********************************************


[Subject index] [Index for current month] [Table of Contents] [Search]