Re: [BKARTS] tibetan book

Patricia

I think you are right. I've seen journals for sale from Tibet and Nepal
which combine papers of the area with Western style books and that is
probably where Dick Blick or whoever created the kit got the idea of a
Tibetan book but the traditional form is unbound rectangular pages held
between two board covers and wrapped in cloth. There's information
about and images from an exhibit called the Tibetan Book of the Dead at
the University of Virginia Library
at http://www.lib.virginia.edu/speccol/exhibits/dead/

The traditional books of Bhutan are the same form. You can find a photo
of shelves of books at the National library of Bhutan at
http://www.library.gov.bt/tour.htm

in good spirit
Susan

Susan Kapuscinski Gaylord
Newburyport, MA
author, Multicultural Books To Make And Share
skgaylord@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.makingbooks.com