Re: [BKARTS] recycled and sustainable artists' bookworks

Actually, a large amount of my work has been in recyclable, organic or small-footprint art. It's partly because so much of my research and practice has been in European Medieval techniques, partly because when I started out I was so darned broke.

Here are a few of the applications I've pursued in the book arts:

- inks out of tea-bags, colors out of flowers and vegetables and earths;

- quills for writing;

- binders from eggs, gelatins, etc;

- and, notably, skins for writing surfaces.

As concerns this last, I once thought of a program to "recycle" rat skins for book pages, thereby helping out our inner-city neighborhoods. I don't remember any gov. grants....

Paul T Werner, New York
http://theorangepress.com

WOID: A journal of visual language
DRAGONSBLOOD AND ASHES, a project to research and practice the techniques of the medieval scribe