Re: [BKARTS] wartime publishing

Cellulose (from cotton, woodpulp, etc.) is used in paper making;
it is also used in the production of explosives and during WW II
papermakers & publishers (and paper bag makers, paper box makers
 etc.) were expected to free up cellulose for the production of
war goods.

Put another way, users, including publishers, were expected to
reduce consumption, while papermakers were expected to reduce
production to the trade so as to free up production for war.

There were associated dislocations.  Papermakers, loggers,
truck drivers, printers, etc. gone off to war.  Conversion
of industrial machine shops (supplying the papermaking and
printing trades) to military production to name only one
affected area.

Some details are contained in David C. Smith's book, _History
of Papermaking in the United States (1691-1969)_ Lockwood Publishing
Co.  New York, 1970, pp. 477-530, but not the part about explosives.

Jack

>Can anyone point me to sources that talk about the restrictions on
>publishing due to World War II for both the U.S. and Britain?  I see
>notices in books saying "this is a wartime book" or "in compliance with
>the governments request for conserving materials" or similar notices.
>Often there is also a graphic of an eagle in diving mode with a book in
>its talons and a ribbon banner in its mouth proclaiming "books are
>weapons in the war of ideas."  There are other graphics and wordings
>that were used. I would like to find the actual wording the various
>governments used that printers/publishers were to follow.
>
>Thanks
>

>Sam Nielson

Thompson Conservation Lab.
7549 N. Fenwick