Re: [BKARTS] Chapbook Regulations

Grace,

As a publisher, we work on many such projects for our clients. Our basic
process is as follows:

1: Layout all of your poems and such in Word, Publisher, Adobe, &c, exactly
as you would like it printed. Word has a "Bookfold" format which I've found
useful. I assume you want to staple it all down the center, so make sure its
set to print out all pages in one signature, not in several smaller ones.

2: Print our a test and make sure the layout is okay. Word isn't really a
publsihing program, but it tries to be. Double check your titles and such
before you print off extras.

3: We use this layout for the first series of pages. We stole it from
another company, who in turn likely stole it from anpother, on and on
through time immemorial: (pages 1, 2, 4, 6, 8) Blank (3)Large Title (5)
Smaller title with name below, maybe with a pretty flourish or a quote (7)
Publishers information. In your case, just put the copyright notices and
contact information. (9) Begin with your poetry. Always try to start
chapters and such on an odd page.

4: A cover is not absolutely neccessary, but helps make an impression. If
you have the artwork set up on the left side of the page in adobe, word, &c.
then you're good to go. Color, black and white, paisley, whatever...it all
looks good. We recently did a similar book for a friend - two 5.5 x 8.5"
binders boards, covered in paisley cloth, with a 1/4" space between the
boards for a hinge. Looks very pretty - a one of a kind work for her
collection of poetry. It was bound through the middele with a sewing machine
and a heavy needle.

5: If you have a hand stapler, I've found (from the old startup days) that a
cork board is fabulous to staple through, and then push down the ends. If
you have a long stapler, then you're set - just adjust the setting to 5.5
inches and have at 'er. I've found that for a pretty look, two holes punched
with a darning needle and threaded with a piece of plastic christmas ribbon
is also quite nice.

Hope this helps.

Robert and Jamie Angus
Octavia & Company Press