Re: [BKARTS] Searching for book mending workshops

Elizabeth,

the Cambell Center, in mount carroll, IL offers many courses in care of
collections, as well as basic repairs.  for book collections repair see
http://www.campbellcenter.org/courses/collcare3.shtml#book.  they're really
intense, and can be pricey, workshops - this one is 4 days.  if you're not
looking for something quite that level, i'm sure there are a lot out there,
especially in chicagoland, but i know the ICCMP (illinois cooperative
collection maintenance program) offers an annual workshop for the past two
years, called "Preservation in the Small to Medium Sized Library" which
covers simple repairs as well as basic disaster recovery, and an intro to
preservation management of your collections.  I have not heard for sure
whether this will be repeated this year or not, but it was very successful
the past two.  previous workshops were in May, so you may want to keep you
eyes peeled.  The ICCMP workshops are fairly inexpensive (i don't remember
exactly, but i think it was $25 or a little over) and one day long, and
have been held in both bloomington-normal and urbana-champaign to date.

cheers,

jennifer