From: "Octavia & Company Press" <JamieJT@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, November 03, 2004 9:12 PM
Subject: Re: [BKARTS] Chapbook Regulations

Grace,

As a publisher, we work on many such projects for our clients. Our basic
process is as follows:

1: Layout all of your poems and such in Word, Publisher, Adobe, &c,
exactly
as you would like it printed. Word has a "Bookfold" format which I've
found
useful. I assume you want to staple it all down the center, so make sure
its
set to print out all pages in one signature, not in several smaller ones.

2: Print our a test and make sure the layout is okay. Word isn't really a
publsihing program, but it tries to be. Double check your titles and such
before you print off extras.

3: We use this layout for the first series of pages. We stole it from
another company, who in turn likely stole it from anpother, on and on
through time immemorial: (pages 1, 2, 4, 6, 8) Blank (3)Large Title (5)
Smaller title with name below, maybe with a pretty flourish or a quote (7)
Publishers information. In your case, just put the copyright notices and
contact information. (9) Begin with your poetry. Always try to start
chapters and such on an odd page.

4: A cover is not absolutely neccessary, but helps make an impression. If
you have the artwork set up on the left side of the page in adobe, word,
&c.
then you're good to go. Color, black and white, paisley, whatever...it all
looks good. We recently did a similar book for a friend - two 5.5 x 8.5"
binders boards, covered in paisley cloth, with a 1/4" space between the
boards for a hinge. Looks very pretty - a one of a kind work for her
collection of poetry. It was bound through the middele with a sewing
machine
and a heavy needle.

5: If you have a hand stapler, I've found (from the old startup days) that
cork board is fabulous to staple through, and then push down the ends. If
you have a long stapler, then you're set - just adjust the setting to 5.5
inches and have at 'er. I've found that for a pretty look, two holes
punched
with a darning needle and threaded with a piece of plastic christmas
ribbon
is also quite nice.

Hope this helps.

Robert and Jamie Angus
Octavia & Company Press
3112 - 28th Ave S.W.
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
T3E 0R8

OctaviaOccult.Com

403 - 242 - 0397

----- Original Message ----- From: "Grace Toy" <grace.toy@xxxxxxxxx> To: <BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> Sent: Wednesday, November 03, 2004 9:01 PM Subject: Chapbook Regulations

Hi,

I am a young poet/writer, and have just been accepted to a Letterpress
and Fine Press Publishing Seminar for Emerging Writers for 11/5-11/7
(Fri.-Sun.). The main project will be "a selection of short texts, no
more than 50 words each, that you would like to print. You should
bring printouts of you poems, do not worry about layout. You will be
printing a selection of them, and you will need a hard copy as a
reference."  I wish to do a chapbook of my poetry, but can I print out
longer poems that are longer, and then lay out it out in more than one
page?   How many poems should I include?  Should I worry about
acknowledgments, title page, etc.?  Please send me any suggestions.
Thanks very much!

Sincerely,
Grace Wing-Yuan Toy

                  Both at: <http://www.philobiblon.com>