[BKARTS] Vellum Restoration

Restoration may not be quite the right word but - I have a small antique
book I purchased years ago for practicing binding in leather.  The vellum is
now completely detached from the boards and I would like to reuse it.  I
would like to know if there are any treatments I can apply to make it more
pliable.  I'm leery of just wetting it.

TIA.

Bob