From: "Jack C. Thompson" <tcl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Vellum Restoration
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2004 23:34:28 -0800

Bob,

You've already received some advice about this problem, and it was
good advice so far as dealing with pages of parchment is concerned.

However, parchment on covers is another matter.

Parchment is animal skin which was stretched and dried under tension.

When you have a cover of parchment which has shrunk and pulled away
from the boards there is really not very much to be done.

In theory, you could damp the cover out well and re-stretch it, but
that has never worked out in practice (so far as I know.)

When I have been presented with this problem in the lab my solution
has been to replace the parchment cover with paper-case paper, well
boned down after a light brushing of gelatin, followed by titling
in hand.

The reason for this is that older books from European countries which
have come to North America have gone from a damp climate to one with
central heating, generally with gas.  Hot and dry is not good for
parchment.

I have a longer talk, with slides, but this is not the place for that.

Jack

>Restoration may not be quite the right word but - I have a small antique
>book I purchased years ago for practicing binding in leather.  The vellum
is
>now completely detached from the boards and I would like to reuse it.  I
>would like to know if there are any treatments I can apply to make it
more
>pliable.  I'm leery of just wetting it.
>
>TIA.
>
>Bob

Thompson Conservation Lab.
7549 N. Fenwick
Portland, Oregon  97217
USA

503/735-3942

http://www.teleport.com/~tcl

Chaucer  _Parlement of Foules_ 1386

                  Both at: <http://www.philobiblon.com>

_________________________________________________________________ Express yourself instantly with MSN Messenger! Download today - it's FREE! http://messenger.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200471ave/direct/01/