[BKARTS] Studio Heating

When I closed the 15 Bleecker St. studio in Manhattan and needed to
relocate the equipment to my home upstate NY the easiest solution was a 24'
x 32' pre-fab shed. It came on two pickup trucks with small trailers, each
section 12" x 32'. The structure was then bolted together. It's pressure
treated 2x4's on 12" centers over PT 4x4's, with foam insulation between
the joists and a PT plywood floor.  The studs are 2x4's on 16" centers with
2x6 rafters, 7' high at the wall and 10' at the peak. The windows have
insulated glass. You can place windows and doors wherever you want when you
order it. As I recall it was about $9,000. That was before lumber costs
skyrocketed due to the war.

I added insulation and sheetrock to the wall studs and ceiling, wired it to
code, and glued wood parquet to the plywood floor. That's very good looking
flooring, easy to clean, and cost about $1/sq ft.

For heat I got a "100% efficient" unvented propane heater with a blower and
thermostat at Home Depot for about $300. It's the decorative type that
looks like a small fireplace and has ceramic logs with a yellow flame. I
also cut a hole in the end wall about 8' up and installed a window type air
conditioner that came with a remote control.  It was several years old
already, and cost under $200 when new,

The air conditioner keeps it cool and dehumidified in the summer, and the
heater keeps it warm and humidified in the winter. Here we have hot wet
summers and cold dry winters. An unexpected advantage of the unvented
heater is that water vapor seems to be a byproduct of combustion, so I
don't need a separate humidifier. I keep the temperature about 58 degrees F
overnight in winter, and in the morning there is condensation on the inside
of the windows. The humidity is fairly constant with one instrument reading
40% and the other 55%. The two hygrometers are next to each other, but
since neither is calibrated I don't know which, if either, is correct. The
construction is fairly tight, so I do open a window just a crack to bring
in fresh air when I'm working. They also make the heaters in "blue flame"
models and enclosed flame models, in case the idea of open flames in the
studio freaks you, and vented if you'd rather not breathe the same air the
flame uses.The vented models lose about 15-20% efficiency to heat that goes
out with the exhaust.

There's a photo of the studio showing the heater at
http://minsky.com/gallery2.htm
--
 Richard
 http://minsky.com