Re: [BKARTS] Preserving newspaper

 There is a way using a solution of milk of magnesia and water - I
believe you have to immerse the paper though. It may be possible to use
an atomizer. I'll look for the recipe under crafts for you.

Christine

Jet Wimp wrote:

   I use a deacidification spray, especially developed to preserve old papers,
newspapers, documents.  It is sold, for instance, by Gaylord, product number
DY-PT22, but is very expensive  (33$ for 8 oz.)  and the 8 oz size covers only
25 square feet.  The deacidifying substance is magnesium carbonate, which is
dirt cheap.  But I suspect it is the vehicle, which seems to me to be a
fluorocarbon compound, certainly not water, that contributes to the cost.
    I wish there were a cheaper way.   I am certainly open to suggestions.

Marjorie Coffey wrote:

Alice,  I have some drawings from the 1960's on newspaper (as a result of a
challenge from a drawing instructor) that I sprayed with  fixative and
framed.  They are only a bit yellowed, but still intact. It was fun to drive
my convertible around Washington, D. C., stop in a no-parking zone and do
quick sketches of historic buildings with various widths of felt tip pens on
quarter pages of the Wall Street Journal propped on the steering wheel.
   How well today's newsprint would hold up if it did not have the
protective glass I can't say.  Good luck!  Marjorie

                 Both at: <http://www.philobiblon.com>

--

J. J. Foncannon
Philadelphia, PA  19139

Brussels to purchase a wheel of Swiss cheese.  The owner pulled a wheel from
the front window, but Magritte said he preferred the one on the back counter.
“But they are identical,” the owner protested.
“No,” Magritte insisted.  “This one’s been stared at.”

                 Both at: <http://www.philobiblon.com>