Re: [BKARTS] Preserving newspaper

Chemically I consider the products equal. That said there are several
drawbacks for the Wei T'o.

1. Solvent based - You MUST use proper ventilation or you will get a nasty
high.
2. The aerosol cans are horrible and clog continually resulting in a huge
amount of waste When I was Archival Product Manager at Gaylord, the rate of
return on them was quite high, and user satisfaction low (the cans were
often VERY full). The clogging was related to humidity/water moisture
causing the magnesium to go out of solution and block not just the nozzle,
but also the valve in the can. The liquid solution that one immerses things
in does not have that problem.

While the cost of the Bookkeeper is higher, the product is relatively
non-toxic, can be used with a regular pump spray bottle.

Deacidification will cause a darkening of high lignin (newsprint) papers,
which may, or may not, be acceptable.

Reformatting is often much more (cost)effective.

What wasn't stated at the beginning of this thread is why the newspaper was
being preserved and how it would need to be used in the future. This kind
of information is critical to giving an appropriate response. The
alternative is going around in circles, not answering the question, and
confusing a lot of people.

Hope this helps,

p.