Re: [BKARTS] Preserving newspaper

I agree with everything Peter has said below. An added point, however, the Bookkeeper products do not clog the spray nozzle. They are also less likely to cause inks to flow under the solvents. I have not used Wei T'o for years because of the nasty solvents in them and the occasional problem with inks. When using Bookkeeper, however, I open windows, run fans, and wear a face mask (solvent type), even though the carrier is supposed to be non-toxic. The comment of a health and safety engineer, who spoke at AIC several years ago, still rings for me—"non-toxic only means that the rat didn't die"!

The water bath method works very well, provided there is no sensitivity to wetting. It does take a lot more time, however, plus the added problems of working with wet, fragile paper and drying it.

I tend to consider the initial darkening of treated newspaper is a cosmetic issue. Untreated newsprint will also darken over time and will eventually overtake the treated, as its internal chemistry worsens. I usually advise people to make photocopies of newspaper materials on preservation grade paper, if they really want to preserve the information. Most people are reluctant to give up their funky old brown stuff, however, and will pay to preserve it as an artifact.

Carol Pratt
Eugene, OR
=========