Re: [BKARTS] Preserving newspaper

In regard to the discussion on newsprint, most modern paper is such
poor quality compared to old paper that it seems to rapidly degrade and
turn yellow.   For some cuttings I have between 70 and 10 years old
that I keep for my family history archives I have simply washed the
newspaper in tap water to remove soluble contaminants and then
deacidified the cutting in diluted calcium hydroxide solution (50:50) as
describe in the "The Paper Conservator" back in 1976-79.  This seems
to be quite satisfactory.

Rodney Fry
Crowthorne
England

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Message sent with PegasusMail 4.21B
System W98 4.10.2222A 2nd Edn on ABIT KR7A-RAID,
McAfee VirusScan v5.21, Mozilla v1.7 browser
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx