[BKARTS] gold finishing

Am trying to teach myself gold finishing on leather.  I have John Mitchell's book, and have had some success.  I would like to make labels for books and put it on the spine after I know the title is nice - centered, etc.  The trouble is that I have to pare the label edges after the gold is done, and also when I put paste on the label it stretches enough to cause some disintegration of the gold...someone tell me what I am doing wrong...