Re: [BKARTS] gold finishing

Carol:

When we make leather labels, we pare the leather first (very thin)
using a Scharfix machine or by hand with a knife, before we had
Scharfix's.

We then back the label with lens tissue. This adds stability to a
thin of leather and keeps it from stretching.

There is another "how to" book you may wish to consult. "The Complete
Book of Bookbinding" by Joseph Cambras (ISBN 1-57990-646-X). It's
really good.

Greg

Am trying to teach myself gold finishing on leather.  I have John =
Mitchell's book, and have had some success.  I would like to make labels =
for books and put it on the spine after I know the title is nice - =
centered, etc.  The trouble is that I have to pare the label edges after =
the gold is done, and also when I put paste on the label it stretches =
enough to cause some disintegration of the gold...someone tell me what I =
am doing wrong...

                                   =20
                  Both at: <http://www.philobiblon.com>