Re: [BKARTS] gold finishing

Carole Vanderhoof wrote:

Am trying to teach myself gold finishing on leather.  I have John =
Mitchell's book, and have had some success.  I would like to make labels =
for books and put it on the spine after I know the title is nice - =
centered, etc.  The trouble is that I have to pare the label edges after =
the gold is done, and also when I put paste on the label it stretches =
enough to cause some disintegration of the gold...someone tell me what I =
am doing wrong...

                                  =20
                 Both at: <http://www.philobiblon.com>

I have use a large soft round blush brush or a soft paint brush with a
3/4" round bundle of soft hair at least 1" long...rotated softly around
the borders of your gold application once the adhesive is dry.  This
should remove the remaining gold without distorting the gold.
If it continues to disintegrate, you may be using too much heat in the
pressing of letters, or if labels, you may be not allowing your adhesive
to dry enough before laying on the gold.
A clever way to do page edge gilding is to take the round out of the
front page edge and press into place, next use egg white sponged on
gently and carefully (very lightly) from spine to edge and then from top
to bottom.  quickly apply gold, dry, hammer, re-apply and do not hammer
the final coat.  It is a marvelous finish.  let dry and then return
pages to the curved position to separate.
Using the modern glues for gold on leather requires thin, smooth and
bubble free adhesive coating...dried until no 'wetness' can be seen.
Apply the gold smoothly and brush carefully to smooth onto
surface...don't do too much!  Let it dry for 24 hours and then use the
same soft brush to rotate along your borders and remove the excess gold.
Hope this helps, it works wonders in my shop.  Though many of my
customers prefer old world materials and applications.