[BKARTS] Cleaning vinyl records

>I know that this is not exactly a book problem. However, could a media
>coservationist have any advice on cleaning LP that have been sitting around
>for years before playing them.

1) Don't clean it with water or detergent; it leaves a film on the surface.
There is a product called disc washer.  It is a brush with a cleaning
solution.  The cleaning solution is a dilute solution of Photoflow, if
anyone wants to make it themselves, but the kit is so cheap and little of
the solution lasts years; just buy the kit a any decent used record store
and follow instructions.